WHYTITLE

my life in the key of e

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Heroes, Idols, and my dirty little secret.

I don't watch much TV. I like football, sportcenter, and a few different shows here and there. Before the advent of DVR I didn't watch much tv because my lifestyle and schedule would never permit me to be able to commit myself to a tv show. I would hate to enjoy a show that ran on wednesdays at 7 because in a full year I might be free for 15 out of 52 Wednesdays. Now with DVR that's all different because it doesn't matter when I'm not free...I can come back to it when I am. Now I don't watch much tv because it's a habit, and for the most part I find a lot of stuff insulting. I can't stand 99% of all sitcoms. I hate tv drama...whatever it is, well...you get the picture. That's not to say there aren't some shows that I do enjoy, just less than most people I think.
My first example of this is Heroes. The nations current favorite new series. It's pissing me off more and more each episode. I think it's run 14 episodes now and I'm still waiting for the goddamn show to start. In the 48 minutes of actual showtime I think 42 minutes are dedicated purely to exposition. IN EVERY SINGLE EPISODE. Take for specific example Claire. They spend every one of the first five episodes explaining very carefully to us the viewing audience that her particular power is that she's indestructable. Cool, whatever. Then we're supposed to believe that miss indestructable is actually in mortal peril. Whatever. Then they have to convince us even more that she can't be hurt. Okay I get it. Every episode has her proving this fact with her little buddy catching it all on camera. My God I get it already. Then after they've more than established this fact they work into the story that her little buddy has his memory as well as his videotape erased, so now...we have to do it all over afuckingain. Jesus Christ I get it, she can't die.
That's just one specific example. I could go on and on with that. Every single episode I have to hear every single character bitch about how they don't know how they got their power, and how they can't control it. I really think I'm giving up on that one. It's just that I'm afraid when I do the writers will finally pull their heads out of their asses and make the show interesting. Probably wishful thinking though. That show really pisses me off because it really does have the potential for being better than it is. It's just that after 14 episodes I'm still waiting for the effin thing to start. Kinda getting tired of it.
Until a few weeks ago I had never seen a single episode of American Idol. When the show first aired, this was because I have a habit of not watching tv as I've previously mentioned. Later, even after my dvr solution, I didn't watch it on general principle. I had to listen to everyone around me talk about it so much I was sick to fuckin death of it without having to watch it. I didn't care about Justin...or Kelly...or Rueben...or any of em. Just more manufactured little popstars in a world already overpopulated with Justins and Brittaneys and Christinas. Why in the world would I even begin to care about the fake made on tv popstars when I hated the made in a studio popstars so much already. Then I saw a few commercial for the auditions in this season, and I laughed a lot, so I figured why not. I watched the season premiere and almost instantly fell in love with Simon. The first time I saw him reduce some poor brittany wannabe to a whiny messy puddle on the floor I think I may have cheered out loud. I love that his last concern is your feelings. That's someone I can get behind. So yeah...I've become an Idol watcher. This being my first season with the show I can honestly say I don't know how long it will last...I might find the whole thing really retarded once they actually start manufacturing a popstar, but the auditions are a laugh. Or maybe it will catch me all the way through. Only time will tell.
On a related yet somewhat different topic, my dirty little secret. I am, despite my seeming inability to connect to anything in my own personal life, I am the biggest sucker for sentimentality. Which is why AI had me in a mess earlier this evening. If you saw it you already know. I'm sure I won't be the first person to write about it, and I know I won't be the last, but my god...Sherman.
He had no intention of winning. He knew he wasn't even a candidate. He just had to go on TV to sing to his dead wife...and I was a goner. He didn't have an amazing voice, but he could carry a tune, and the song...I get all weepy just writing about it. Here I am a grown...33 year old...mostly hetero man really buying into this. I have this feeling that most people probably found the whole thing really cheesy and nauseating, but I really bought it. Hook, line, and sinker. I always do. Somewhere I got the girl gene that makes moments like this keep happening. You got that honest to god heartfelt showboat and I'll buy the first ticket. So yeah, Sherman got me. I am a sucker for sentimentality...as long as it's someone else it seems. If in any way whatsoever I'm involved...whole different story.
So I think ultimately I just wrote a whole hell of a lot more than I EVER intended to write about the box called idiot by some. I think I'll never connect to 99% of what's on, then out of the blue I'll all of a sudden get caught up in the same mainstream crap that got everyone else too. Oh well, maybe I'm a little human after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home