WHYTITLE

my life in the key of e

Saturday, July 05, 2003

Good evening to anyone who may come across this. Technically I guess it is the 5th of July, but to me still the fourth. I haven't gone to bed yet, and who knows when I will. Kitty is looking at my feet fondly again, and saying something...but I don't speak cat. The day has come and gone. I have celebrated my independence today by fueling the Hollywood machine. I can't help it. I'm a slave to mass media. It's who I've become. I can't speak without some reference to pop culture. And because of pop culture, this makes me cool. Why bother quoting Shakespeare, Byron, or Shelly, when I can quote Tarantino, Scorcese, and Kevin Smith. They are the poets of my day. They are the spokesmen of My Generation. When I speak of Homer, it's not the great Greek poet, whose stories have survived millenia, but a fat yellow man whose stories pacify our children. Greatness is a mockery of itself. It stands through ages, time, and misfortune...to finaly discover, after a world of events...apathy. That warm numbness that reminds me that tomorrow will be the same as today. Hamlet had a country to save and a father to avenge. Romeo lived for nothing but love, and died when passion overcame logic. Caesar, betrayed by his best friend, bleeds on the steps of Rome, but decays in forgetfullness. Cobain saved us from the new kids and Debbie Gibson...but N'Sync, and Brittany saved us from Cobain. If I sound cynical, well, at least I know I'm trendy. It doesn't matter. I get to do it all again in the morning. In the immortal words of God...or was it Anthony Keidis...
I LOVE ALL OF YOU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home